Sometimes a show needs insane props such as Audrey II puppets or a machine of unknowable function for Belle's father in Beauty and the Beast. Props provide a massive challenge for any production, luckily I love a challenge!
Some of my favorite creations have been props like the Audrey II puppet which had some major design hurdles to overcome such as
- A large plant puppet which could grow and change
- Should look and move like a living organism
- Must be able to open and close mouth in time to diologue
- Had to open wide enough to swallow full grown actors with a hidden passage for them to exit
- Must be able to emerge from a small space due to lack of backstage space
- Should be fire retardant
After a lot of blood sweat and tears the Audrey II was a massive success in Belvoir Players Academy's production of Little Shop of Horrors 2017 and had audiences gasping in amazement.